Silent Scream Letter Competition 2022
The aim of the annual Silent Scream Letter Competition, which is being held for the third time by the Association of Elderly Rights and Mental Health, is to draw attention to the problems and needs of our elderly people, and patients with mental health conditions, to increase their visibility in the society and to defend their rights.
- COMPETITION DATES:
- Competition launch date: 30 March, 2022
- Deadline for entries: 30 May, 2022
- Announcement of winner: 30 June, 2022
- COMPETITION CONDITIONS:
- Only individuals living in Cyprus can participate in the letter competition.
- The members of the board of directors of the association, the members of the letter competition selection committee and the first-degree relatives of both board members cannot participate in the competition.
Letters that have been awarded in any other previous competition cannot be sent to the competition.
- COMPETITION THEMES:
The letter to be sent to the competition should be based on real-life stories of the elderly and mental health patients, and their relatives. Letters describing imaginary or unreal events as real will be excluded from the competition. It is important that the length of the letter is at least 250 words. You can participate in the competition with a letter about mental health or the elderly as stated below:
- Mental Health: It should describe the experiences of an individual with mental health conditions, the reactions of the society against them due to their illness, and the issues that affect their quality of life, such as exclusion and abuse, if any. The patient or their relatives can write the letter.
- Elderly Rights: There should be letters written by them or their relatives on issues such as unfair behaviours that elderly individuals are exposed to, exclusion due to being old, neglect and abuse, lack of care and helplessness.
Participants should write their name, surname and a contact telephone number at the end of the letter. Participants who do not want to give their names can write a pseudonym but still need to provide a contact number.
Please send your letter to firstname.lastname@example.orgIf you need any information you can contact these telephone numbers: 0533-8649955 / 0542-8883010 / 0542-8533188.
- PRIVACY & ETHICS:
None of the participants’ letters will be shared with anyone without written and verbal approval. Award-winning letters can also only be shared with the permission of the entrants.
- SELECTION COMMITTEE:
The Selection Committee will consist of members of the Association of Elderly Rights and Mental Health, and will consist of at least three people with knowledge and experience in the relevant fields.
- EVALUATION & AWARDS:
a) All letters to be sent to the event will be evaluated via a scoring method by the Selection Committee.
b) The letters will be ordered from the highest score to the lowest score according to the points they have received, and the first, second and third contestants will be determined.
c) All participants in the letter competition will be given a participation plaque/certificate, regardless of whether or not they receive an award.
- COMPETITION RESULTS:
The winners of the competition are notified in written and verbal communication, and the awards they win are presented to them in person at an award ceremony. The results of the competition will be announced via e-mail, press, social media and the website of the association. The place and date of the award ceremony will be determined according to pandemic conditions and will be announced to the public.
- First Prize: 3000 TL
- Second Prize: 2500 TL
- Third Prize: 2000 TL